Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Henrik Ibsen

                  Hi my name is Nicolle. So far what I liked most about English class this year is reading the book Interpreter of Maladies. In English class we will start reading the book A Doll's House. The author Henrik Ibsen was born in March 20, 1828 in Skien, Norway. Ibsen suffered through poverty and reached his goals becoming a theatre director and a poet. At the age of 36 he left his land of birth. Then Ibsen moved back home again at the age of 63. He later died in May 23, 1906 in Oslo, Norway. Ibsen's last drama When We Dead Awaken, talks about an artist which describes him as well. It's about someone who has fame and success but regardless of having those two things he was still unhappy and felt lonely. Ibsen carried on traditions from two writers, the Frenchman Eugene Scribe and the German Friedrich Hebbel. In spite of Ibsen's insecurities he was still a determined young writer.
                   What comes to my mind when I hear A Doll's House is a family or people living in a house where it is full of lies and deceit. I believe everyone is in a big lie and will get worse. The theme of this story is about women towards the end of the 19th century. Although one of the big themes of this story will be about a conflict between appearance and reality. Who we are and how we present ourselves will play a big role in A Doll's House.  Also, I believe that womens right's is a symbol in this book that we will be reading.

Cites
  • http://www.enotes.com/
  • http://www.mnc.net/norway/Ibsen.htm
  • iwww.biography.com/people/henrikbsen-37014
  • http://www.theatredatabase.com/19th_century/henrik_ibsen_001.html


1 comment:

  1. Really good work! Also, I'm happy that you underlined all titles. Next time just italicize them. :)

    ReplyDelete